Cosmo Terminal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for F-Zero fans

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.

Go down 
+4
Reibeast
SpaceSmilodon
Rainbow Phoenix Rider
Black_ShadowGX
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Reibeast
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
Reibeast

What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 2:07 am

I guess I'm just not counting costume changes that only happened once. To me that's not so much an alternate costume, as a one off. And yes, I do include Jack's totally convincing, never know it was him, flat-cap disguise. XD

Still, it's easier on the animators that way, to just use the same outfit all the time.
Back to top Go down
Blitz_Wagner
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
Blitz_Wagner

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm

I know I may catch some heat from DragonBird, but I'll say my opinion anyways.

If I had a choice there would have been NO anime to begin with. The Character designs compared to their canon ones are lacking, and the guy who did design them did much better work previous.

The fact of the matter is the F-Zero anime is a complete failed project that should have never been produced. The series had a small but loyal fanbase to keep games coming out for awhile. F-Zero GX sold more than 400,000 units enough to earn a sequel. And note that game had poor advertisement like No More Heros and it sold 500,000 and has a sequel, now what about F-Zero?

Simply, Nintendo put too much stock in the anime. Nintendo for some ungodly reason though hey maybe an anime could spark interest in the series, without them realizing hey, F-Zero is one of your cult series aka it simply does not appeal to everyone. With the cancellation of the TV show and the very, very poor sales of the two GBA anime games. It furthur proves your series wasn't ment for mainstream appeal.

So what if it succeeded in Japan? It wasn't made to succeed in Japan but in America and Europe as well. The anime & the games based off it were financial failures, and deserve to be swiped underneath the rug and ignored. Question yourself with this if the anime and it's games never happened would we see have seen a DS and Wii game by now? IMO yes we would have.

The anime did more hurt than good for this series. It downright crippled it. We have heard nothing besides F-Zero would not work on Motion Control since 2006. That is what I do not like about the anime. It hurt this series badly cause of it's failure. Should some things become a part of the main series?

yeah sure save the good elements. Leave a majority of it in the pit though. The anime is dead and should never be mentioned again.
Back to top Go down
Neko-Chan
Neko-Chan

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:07 pm

Blitz_Wagner wrote:

yeah sure save the good elements. Leave a majority of it in the pit though. The anime is dead and should never be mentioned again.

That's real , agreed at 100%

I don't know why Nintendo made this game an anime .
Back to top Go down
NanoZero07
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
NanoZero07

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 pm

There's also something that bothers me about the anime Falcon.

We all know our F-Zero Falcon doesn't take his name as the most important thing ever. He does what he does, good or bad, for the sake of being the bounty hunter and F-Zero racer that he is. That's all he really wants to be, but he just happens to do good deeds. So now he's the hero even though he didn't really want to be.

The anime Falcon is different. He seems to, on purpose, be the hero, even if he knows Ryu's the one who is supposed to be the savior. Why, in the anime at least, does Falcon race? He's really not a bounty hunter in the anime, and he certainly doesn't love prize money all that much. He just seems to be doing it because it's necessary to save the world. Falcon doesn't really act like a cool and aloof bounty hunter like he is in the games; he's establishing links to the Federation, let alone Ryu, for the sole purpose of saving the world and passing on his name to Ryu with the hope that there will always be a Captain Falcon in the world at any time.

I'm not trying to hate on the anime Falcon, but I just really had to let that out.
Back to top Go down
Blitz_Wagner
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
Blitz_Wagner

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 1:23 am

NanoZero07 wrote:
There's also something that bothers me about the anime Falcon.

We all know our F-Zero Falcon doesn't take his name as the most important thing ever. He does what he does, good or bad, for the sake of being the bounty hunter and F-Zero racer that he is. That's all he really wants to be, but he just happens to do good deeds. So now he's the hero even though he didn't really want to be.

The anime Falcon is different. He seems to, on purpose, be the hero, even if he knows Ryu's the one who is supposed to be the savior. Why, in the anime at least, does Falcon race? He's really not a bounty hunter in the anime, and he certainly doesn't love prize money all that much. He just seems to be doing it because it's necessary to save the world. Falcon doesn't really act like a cool and aloof bounty hunter like he is in the games; he's establishing links to the Federation, let alone Ryu, for the sole purpose of saving the world and passing on his name to Ryu with the hope that there will always be a Captain Falcon in the world at any time.

I'm not trying to hate on the anime Falcon, but I just really had to let that out.

Exactly another thing that I hate, was that. Captain Falcon just wasn't Falcon at all. We all know he rather get the job done than to save every kitten that gets stuck in a tree. GX may have been cheesy but it at least keep Falcon the way he was, a reluctant hero.

But in the anime's defense I have to say one character they got spot on. And that is Black Shadow .

What we saw was, Black Shadow being what he was meant to be, The King of Evil. He was a cold and calculating monster. He had no remorse for his actions and stated aloud to his minions they were nothing more than pawns in his Grand Scheme. And no one back talked him.

He was a dominating force in the show, and everyone feared him. He easily brushed aside attacks that would kill anyone else in that show, he toyed with people's emotions and messed with their psyche. That had no problem punishing anyone who dared try to cross him, he only kept Zoda around simply cause Zoda no matter what was no match for him and he even intended to shove the reactor mite in Zoda even if he tried to attack him.

Black Shadow is like another villain, and I think it's safe to assume he and Darkseid are fairly identical personality wise. Both are world destroyers, master manipulators, both prefer to command rather than actually fight but when prevoked these two destroy anyone who stands against them.

If there is one thing I love to see from the anime it is Black Shadow's personality restored to this.
Back to top Go down
DragonBird00
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
DragonBird00

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:33 am

Blitz_Wagner wrote:
I know I may catch some heat from DragonBird, but I'll say my opinion anyways.

If I had a choice there would have been NO anime to begin with. The Character designs compared to their canon ones are lacking, and the guy who did design them did much better work previous.

The fact of the matter is the F-Zero anime is a complete failed project that should have never been produced. The series had a small but loyal fanbase to keep games coming out for awhile. F-Zero GX sold more than 400,000 units enough to earn a sequel. And note that game had poor advertisement like No More Heros and it sold 500,000 and has a sequel, now what about F-Zero?

Simply, Nintendo put too much stock in the anime. Nintendo for some ungodly reason though hey maybe an anime could spark interest in the series, without them realizing hey, F-Zero is one of your cult series aka it simply does not appeal to everyone. With the cancellation of the TV show and the very, very poor sales of the two GBA anime games. It furthur proves your series wasn't ment for mainstream appeal.

So what if it succeeded in Japan? It wasn't made to succeed in Japan but in America and Europe as well. The anime & the games based off it were financial failures, and deserve to be swiped underneath the rug and ignored. Question yourself with this if the anime and it's games never happened would we see have seen a DS and Wii game by now? IMO yes we would have.

The anime did more hurt than good for this series. It downright crippled it. We have heard nothing besides F-Zero would not work on Motion Control since 2006. That is what I do not like about the anime. It hurt this series badly cause of it's failure. Should some things become a part of the main series?

I think the F-Zero anime was actually made to be accepted by Japan more anyway. There were clearly things in the anime (and the mere fact that it's anime) that would appeal to Japan far more than other countries. F-Zero X and GX were very American-like, in my opinion. I mean, they didn't even have Japanese voice actors in the Japanese version, they were always English. I dont want to bore everyone to death (and I know I will xD;; ) but since Nintendo is a Japanese company, what happens in Japan kinda does matter the most. The F-Zero anime has such a huge fanbase in Japan, it's hard to say the anime shouldn't have existed. There were massive amounts of fansites dedicated to the F-Zero anime, including special "character doumei (unions)". Even to this day new F-Zero art pops up on popular Japanese fan art website "Pixiv", and it's all anime related. Not to mention the forums. It may be dead in some countries but it certainly isn't in Japan. Sounds stupid, but it made a lot of people happy, and isn't that what really matters in video games or TV shows? What's the point in getting so worked up anyway? Love it or hate it, it's up to the individual self, we shouldn't be worrying about Nintendo's financial issues with it...

Also the English anime wasn't cancelled because nobody was watching it. Nintendo left 4Kids because they were paying far too much, and F-Zero happened to be in the dubbing at the time. (They had finished the Kirby show previously).

Anyway...I do understand what you mean by it should've really gone well in other countries to be classified a true success. That's what should've happened, but unfortunately it didn't. It can't be helped now. I wouldn't bet money on the return of the anime characters or anything plot-related, but I do think they'd borrow a few smaller elements. However I don't think that it was the anime's fault there hasn't been an F-Zero in a few years. F-Zero had so much for itself back then, so shouldn't other Nintendo series get something now?

Well, that's just my opinion. No argument-starting intended.
Back to top Go down
http://dragonbird00.deviantart.com/
Blitz_Wagner
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
Blitz_Wagner

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 6:03 pm

I just had reply to your last statement DragonBird00.

I think its fairly clear F-Zero did Not need an anime. Yes Nintendo is a Japanese company, I know that, I'm sure we all do. But their is something about the F-Zero that's fairly different than Nintendo's other series. It has strong American comic influence rather than a usual anime look.

The characters, machines, & even world settings seem to appeal more to the Western audience than the Japanese. If you were going to have a TV show of the F-Zero would have been best to have lets say the DC animation producers do F-Zero rather than a Japanese Company, due to it's strong western influence?

On NoA.com when the F-Zero anime was on the FoxBox there was a poll asking their members if they saw the F-Zero anime, many replied they had no idea it existed or that they didn't care and the ratings of the show proved this, there were several factors as to why that show was pulled off the air and that was the main one, hell it was also the forums that kept the Tingle game from being released in America. and NoJ was so worried about LoZ:TP American sales that they decided to keep Tingle from appearing in that game. For a Japanese company they sure as hell seem to care about America's opinion on their series.

What I'm saying is that it does not matter what kind-of company Nintendo is, they are still a company that wants money and most of the money for F-Zero came from the Western side of the world. F-Zero GX/AX had a large number of Japanese advertisements far more than the Western world and the Japanese sales of GX were only 100,900 units sold while the North American and Europe's sales were both 250,000. And most of the western audience didn't find out about GX's existence until the demo disc of MK:DD came out and that was after GX's release date!

The anime yeah it should have stayed in Japan, cause it alienated the Western audience(and it's still the bigger audience) There are still alot of people here that care for this series, but they hate the anime for good solid reasons. And if the Japanese did care about the Anime why was the overall sales of GP legends and Climax so poor? they were advertised during the TV show, so the audience knew about the games but apparently didn't care enough to support them.

It doesn't matter if the anime was successful in Japan, if the F-Zero series has a stronger Western influence & was made to appeal to the western audience more to begin with. The sales of the games proved North America & Europe sales > Japanese sales of the game even when there was poor advertisements for them.

We all know Miyamoto has stated that he disliked and considered a certain 3rd Party F-Zero titles to be disappointments. Miyamoto in several interviews has praised the work of GX/AX of amusement vision as well as Imamura stating that GX was his favorite F-Zero game. But the two anime games Miyamoto had no involvement in those two titles to boot as well. I think after that fiasco Nintendo clearly understand that F-Zero is a series that has a stronger appeal to their western audience than their Japanese audience, if they like the anime it's cool but as a company you have to realize what works for this series and what doesn't and clearly F-Zero is better left for Western appeal.

It's that simple.
Back to top Go down
DragonBird00
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
DragonBird00

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Blitz, I know. Of course it should stay comic book style. That's one large reason F-Zero is F-Zero. I know that it started with Western appeal. What I'm saying is it shouldn't matter so much which part of F-Zero you like; there are people who like the American-styled side, AND the Japanese-styled side. Both are absolutely fine. It's unfair to single out either countries. (Besides, what about everyone else? Germany, France, Spain, Finland, Australia...) So F-Zero works better with a Western feel, that's okay. It's good.

And yes, I do realize that sales matter for such a large company, and that's why I said before I don't expect the majority of the anime to return. What I'm trying to put forward is it shouldn't matter for us. Does it really? Why worry about Nintendo? We're all F-Zero fans in general, aren't we? They make the game, we play the game....isn't it all about having fun? I personally think we should just look on the bright side of things. It's silly to make a fuss over what Nintendo plans to do. Just enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Black_ShadowGX
Black_ShadowGX

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 7:12 pm

Lol wow I'm friends with both of you, and you both of you are true F-Zero fans, just with different tastes and opinions. Blitz really dislikes the anime for the most part, though.

But I'm sure he means no harm, he just likes to criticize alot. He was an F-Zero fan longer before I was. I hope he hasn't offended you DragonBird00. I'm in lurk mode and I had to come out and say something. Later guys!
Back to top Go down
DragonBird00
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
DragonBird00

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Oh no no, I'm not offended at all, I just wanted to stress that playing/watching F-Zero should be fun, not fussy (:
Back to top Go down
Reibeast
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
Reibeast

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 1:39 am

Hey guys, someone on the internet has a different opinion to me D=

*ahem* But seriously, Dragonbird hit the nail on the head with this one.

DragonBird00 wrote:
playing/watching F-Zero should be fun, not fussy (:

This, and QFT.
You're not going to please everyone all of the time.
Yeah, the anime drew quite a good crowd, it has plenty of fans, and has gathered the interest outside of Japan too. You only need to look at the youtube videos to find out how many people are interested.
Now, the other matter. If it were animated in western style, would it really make that much of a difference. I'm actually quite curious about that. Would it make any difference to the plot, or the story? What difference would the style have if people did/didn't enjoy the story in the first place?
I guess it might make a difference to those with the anime=crap mentality.

But, would it also make a difference to how much exposure it had? F-Zero as a franchise has never been given the push it deserves, so I don't think the fact that it is an anime alone can be held accountable for it's unpopularity, and how few people know about it. The whole exsistance of F-Zero itself is unknown to most people, who only recognise Falcon from SSB.

Just the way it is, I guess. I don't think F-Zero will ever be as big as it deserves to be.
Back to top Go down
Blitz_Wagner
F-Zero Rookie
F-Zero Rookie
Blitz_Wagner

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 4:33 am

I personally don't care much for Japanese animation or Western Animation much. But as soon as I saw some of these character redesigns(Jack Levin) I felt sick. Western animation would have kept their designs closer to their canon counterparts at least.

I know the anime has a fanbase but seriously outside of the anime, are people actually going to care about this series much? More than likely not. heck, the 35 second clip of the Falcon Punch is probably the most popular part of the anime. Visually I disliked what I saw in the anime, that what erks me the most, there are several other things I don't like. but I'm not a fool to ignore it's good parts.

Yes the story was enjoyable, it was mostly original for a racer. The main character was a man, rather than a usual teenage boy/girl. It had some funny moments, and Black Shadow was one hell of an interesting character(Wakamoto nailed this).

I've been playing this series since 1991, but even then I realized that this series wasn't made for the main spot light. Heck the original F-Zero wasn't much promoted as an actual new IP but rather "Look what our console can do!" cause of Mode 7 providing a more realistic feel on the racing genre.

That's why I said save the good parts from the anime and resurrect them in the canon series, but for the most part just leave a dead horse alone. The anime is dead and should be left in it's grave. For the most part you have to realize this IS a cult series. It's just simply not a game that the majority are going to get into.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.   What you did not like about the F-Zero anime. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What you did not like about the F-Zero anime.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2